Featured Speakers: (click photo to learn more)
Founder & Headmistress of The Institute of Urban Homesteading
Do you love the satisfying feeling of feeding your family directly from your own home garden?
Knowing your meal was cultivated by your very own hands... sourcing and saving seeds, building up fertile soil and capturing rainwater to nourish your produce?
Or maybe you wish you could grow your own food? You have the heart, mind and will, but just need some easy-to-follow guidance...
You can! And we’ll help you develop the skills you need — with expert tips, step-by-step techniques, and urban farming best practices to get you started.
If you’re already an avid gardener... why not try adding chickens into the mix? (Imagine having fresh eggs every day!) We’ll show you what you need to know — from building coops to feeding your hens to collecting eggs.
Or maybe your next step is beekeeping? (Does it get any better than raw, organic honey for everything from smoothies to salves?!)
Whether this is a new interest for you or you’ve been at it for years, if you’re passionate about living in the healthiest, most sustainable way possible — for yourself, your family, and our planet — you’ll discover essential, environmentally friendly practices for protecting our planet’s precious resources while providing for your family, community and beyond.
During The Gardening & Homesteading Skills Summit, October 17-19, 2017, you’ll hear from an incredible lineup of today’s most innovative farmers, master gardeners, homesteaders and off-the-gridders, who’ll redefine backyard farming and share the exact skills you need to live in more sustainable ways, and with greater self-reliance.
You’ll receive tips and life hacks for starting or expanding your home garden, seed saving, soil enrichment, rainwater harvesting, small animal husbandry, beekeeping, making your own cheese and more!
Join a global community of people who want to grow more, shop less, and save the planet... an emerging, multi-generational movement to return to home gardens and revive practical skills to live healthfully, happily, and holistically!
Whether you’re interested in expanding your garden, treating your family through natural medicine, starting an urban farm, or simply living in right relationship with nature... there are sessions for YOU during the 3-day Gardening & Homesteading Skills Summit.
Here are some of the skills you’ll discover from our master gardeners, farmers, and homesteading experts...
- Cultivating your own herbal remedies & natural healthcare products
- Fermenting tummy-pleasing foods & beverages
- Essential practices (from seed to table!) for growing the healthiest food possible
- Beekeeping practices for a sweeter home life & more sustainable world
- Raising happy, healthy chickens in the city & suburbs
- Rainwater harvesting and greywater capture — save resources + money
- Grassroots, community-based healthcare systems — integrating herbalists, apothecaries, gardens, local farms, farmers markets & more
- How to gather & save your own seeds
- Homesteading as a path to more intimacy between you, the earth & your life’s work
- Demystifying irrigation: the best times & best weather for watering
- Raising chickens, rabbits or goats... legally & sustainably
- How farming is empowering women & girls of color — and reconnecting them with the earth
- High-fertility soil practices for urban gardens & farms
- Plants & gardening methods most suited to your personality
- Transforming the honey industry through bee activism
- Creating your own micro farm to feed yourself and your community
- Bio-intensive, mini farming methods for high-yielding crops
The basics of cheesemaking at home — plus tips and tricks for fitting it into your busy life!
Receive This FREE Introduction to Modern Homesteading When You Register!
Enjoy a lively discussion and introduction to The Gardening & Homesteading Skills Summit with our wonderful summit host, K. Ruby Blume.
Ruby shares the profound fulfillment you can experience through urban and modern homesteading — from growing your own food to raising your own animals to fixing and building with your own hands! She also highlights how these sustainable practices create positive change in the world and empower you to live a healthier lifestyle. She’ll introduce some of our featured speakers and give a preview of what you can expect during this “groundbreaking” summit!
Join us for this first-ever gathering of its kind with educator, gardener, beekeeper, artist, and activist, host K. Ruby Blume, Founder and Headmistress of The Institute of Urban Homesteading, and our many experienced and eager-to-teach presenters.